BigPond Outgoing Mail Server
This post shows how to set up your outgoing mail server if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is Telstra BigPond.
Problem sending email
Some ISPs like Telstra BigPond deny access to external SMTP servers. This may cause a problem when sending email from domains that are hosted with us.
You can identify the problem if:
- Your email client repeatedly asks for username and password.
- The following message (or similar) comes up when sending emails; “Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server mail.yourdomain.com timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.”
- Or simply, you are unable to send email.
You will need to use BigPond outgoing mail server.
Configure your outgoing server (SMTP) with the following settings:
- Server: mail.bigpond.com
- Port: 465
- Authentication: Yes
- Encrypted Connection (AKA Connection Security): TLS/STARTTLS (preferred), SSL/TLS or SSL Encryption
- Username: Complete BigPond email address
- Password: BigPond account password
You may also need the following information:
- Authentication method: Normal password
- Reply to: Your own email address